November 10, 2014

In Payson, Utah - Week 3.  I got my travel plans! I'll go back to the MTC the morning of Nov. 30th, which I think is pretty hilarious after being out almost 2 months. Elder Chingas, Sister Hassell and I will leave the MTC at 2:30 AM the next day, fly to Denver, then New York for my visa, spending the night there. Then to Austria the next day, and finally to Macedonia! I'll get there Dec 3rd.

We had exchanges on Thursday, and it was my turn to go with our district leader, Elder Messegee. Apparently, he is supposed to evaluate me and stuff, but it just felt like a normal companionship. On Friday, when we switched back, we met in a restaurant that gives us free food called Wildflower. We got there first, and when the other Elders came, Elder Tucker ran up to us and said "I got called to speak ASL!" (American Sign Language) Apparently, he took 2 years of ASL in high school. The old ASL missionary in the mission is about to go home, so he is replacing her, and will probably do that the rest of his mission. He's really excited about it. We met up with them at BYU in the library. I was hoping to run into someone I know while we were there, but no luck. Apparently, we'll be spending a lot more time out there with Elder Tucker's new calling.

One of our investigators, Andrew, has had quite a bit of bad luck come on him as he's been getting ready for baptism. He had the flu, then he had a seizure and cut open his head on the ground and had to get stitches, and then he messed up his leg. He barely was able to make it to church yesterday, with a cut up face and a cane so he could walk. But that guy is determined. He was supposed to be baptized a week from today, but he wants his family to be there, and they'll all be there in December, so we pushed it back another month.
We just got home one day this week when our phone started going off. Elder Herrington answered it and it was Will, one of our Less-Actives in the Hillman Branch. The conversation went like this:
"Hey guys! Wanna hear a joke?"
"Uhhh...sure Will."
"What did God say to Abinadi when he got to heaven?"
"...What?"
"Well Done! Alright I gotta go, bye."
I thought I was going to die of laughter! He just called us out of the blue, just to tell us that joke. It was the most random thing ever, but I guess it means he likes us.
[In the Book of Mormon, it says the prophet Abinadi was bound, then burned at the stake.]

While on our exchange, I used a member's bathroom, and there was a scale, so I figured I'd weigh myself. Holy cow! This time of year last year, I weighed 145, and now I'm at 180. These meals everyday are taking a toll on me. I'm done for if this goes on for 21 more months.

Transfers are this week, and Elder Herrington is taking off. I'm going to miss him. It will be strange. Elder Tucker and the elder replacing him will be the new zone leaders. A lot of change. 3 more weeks here, then I'm off to Macedonia! You all enjoy your week!
Elder Rigby

Top picture: At mutual! We went to 3 mutual youth meetings this week to talk about missionary work, and get them excited for missions. At one, they made us all scarves, which will help me survive a little longer with this cold.
Bottom picture: BYU Missionary. See the Y above campus!? I have to admit, I never thought I would have a mission picture anything like this.