October 28, 2014

So my P-Day is now on Mondays, and that's why I didn't get to send a letter out last week. And Dear Elder is mostly an MTC thing, you can still use it to write me, but I think it costs money now, so I would just stick with my email at richard.rigby@myldsmail.net
Another crazy week! So in the MTC, my whole district left before me, and it was just Elder Park and I from our group. It was weird having everyone be gone, but I just focused on working hard with everything with my last days before I hit the field. Elder Park left on Sunday since he got cleared, so I was with the Elder Chingas, the new Macedonian. Tuesday came and I had to say goodbye to everyone, which was sad, but I was really excited to get out into the field. 10 weeks in the MTC, was a good time, but it was time to go. The Assistants in the Provo mission picked me up where I was met and interviewed by the President McCune. He is a very stern and determined guy, that definitely seems like he knows what he's doing.
After, we took a picture, and I got picked up by my new companions, Elder Tucker and Elder Herrington. I have two since I came out in the middle of a transfer, so they just stuck me with them. They are both awesome though. They're really fun to be around, and also work work, which is all I can ask for. I'd say we get along really well, although it's only been a week. I'm loving being with them though. They took me to our apartment in Payson, and then we headed out to our dinner appointment. We get fed dinner every night of the week here, which is awesome. Immediately after we went to our appointments, who all cancelled on us, so then we visited others until our coordination meeting.
Coordination is everything. We have two stakes that we cover, and the members do all the finding for us. One of our main objectives is to get to know the members to then we can get referrals from them. So far it's been working great; we've got 4 with a baptismal date right now.
The next day was exchanges, so Elder Herrington and I went with Elder Pereria after our district training meeting. It was weird since I hadn't even been out there for 24 hours. We taught some lessons in the afternoon, and I got to teach my first real lesson ever! It was with a less active man named Clent. As you can guess, a lot of the work in this mission is with less active members. We slept at Elder Pereria's apartment, and then did some more service in the morning. The exchange ended. Again, it was a crazy few days, haha.
That night, we taught a boy. It was the first lesson with him, and we found him by a member telling us that he wants to be baptized. I'm pretty sure that stuff only happens in Utah. I got to ask him if he wanted to be baptized, to which he eagerly said yes. It's amazing. Another example is we got a call from our district leader about a boy he taught who couldn't get baptized before because of their parents, but now he can. I still can't believe stuff like that just pops up.
In an effort to know the members better, we went to two wards on Sunday, and we spoke in both of them. The bishops didn't know we were coming, and they both already had a lot of speakers, so it ended up in one ward I was the 7th speaker. It's become a lot easier to give talks with all the studying and the greater purpose I have now. Then we taught in Priest's quorum, and then more missionary lessons. It was a busy day.
Something really weird for me is they let us use Facebook to talk to people and post uplifting messages. I didn't want to use it for a while, but I decided to give it a shot and it's been pretty sweet. I remember thinking I wish I could have talked to people back home while I was in the MTC, and now I can!

I gotta say, I've been loving being out here. It took a little bit of adjusting because it's on the opposite mission spectrum as Macedonia, but I'm getting it. It's amazing to me to see how much we've been able help people already since I've gotten here. My testimony is strengthened every day after seeing the light of Christ reaching people. I know how much it has blessed my life, and all I wish to do now is bring that to other people.
-Elder Rigby
Here is my new district and, below, my new companions, Elders Tucker and Herrington: